Immigration Info for Faculty and
J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa: Insurance Requirements for J-1 & J-2 Exchange Visitors
J-1 Professors, Research Scholars & Short-Term Scholars
J-1 Exchange Visitors are required, as a condition of their J-1 status,
to carry health insurance for themselves and their accompanying J-2 family members.
The insurance policy held by a J-1 Exchange Visitor and his/her J-2 dependents must
meet the following minimum criteria as established by the U.S. Department of State:
- Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness;
- A deductible not greater than $500 per injury or illness;
- A co-payment not greater than 25% per accident or illness;
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500;
- Medical evacuation in the amount of $10,000;
- A waiting period for pre-existing conditions that is reasonable by current industry standards;
- Coverage for activities inherent to the exchange program;
- The underwriting company must have an acceptable rating.
If you ARE eligible for health benefits through Tufts
University, your sponsoring department should schedule an orientation with the
Human Resources Department immediately upon your arrival.
At the Benefits orientation, please be sure to inform them that you are a J-1
visitor. The Benefits Office is located at 200 Boston Avenue, Tufts
University, and Medford Campus. They can be reached at 617-627-3270.
- If you are eligible for health insurance benefits through
Tufts, but choose not to participate in any of the plans offered,
it is YOUR responsibility to ensure that you maintain insurance
coverage which meets the J-1 health insurance requirements, as
previously described on Page 1.
- Postdoctoral Associates & Postdoctoral Fellows are offered
a separate health benefits package. For questions on this type of
package, contact the Student Advisory & Health Administration
(120 Posner Hall, 200 Harrison Avenue). They can be reached at
617-636-2700 for questions.
- The insurance plan offered to postdoctoral associates &
postdoctoral fellows by Tufts meet all of the J-1 Health Insurance
Requirements, including "Repatriation of Remains" and "Medical
Evacuation". Repatriation of Remains and Medical Evacuation coverage
is only for those J-1 scholars who are benefits eligible and who have
enrolled in one of the benefits insurance companies offered by Tufts.
If you ARE NOT eligible for
health insurance benefits from Tufts University, you will be
required to purchase insurance coverage which meets the J1 regulations.
Review a list of recommended companies
You are free to choose
any other company, as long as you are sure that they meet the J-1
insurance requirements. It is YOUR responsibility to verify this.
All Benefits Eligible & Non-Benefits Eligible J-1 Research Scholars
must complete the attached "Health Insurance Agreement Form" and return
it to the International Center. You should also schedule an immigration
orientation with the International Center upon arriving
at Tufts (or within your first week in the U.S.). Your immigration
status will not be considered complete until we have received the Health
Insurance Agreement form to verify your compliance with the J-1