Globalization and Sustainable Development
In the News
This is a selection of notable press featuring Globalization Researchers. For articles by these researchers, see Columns & Commentaries.
- A March 14, 2014 Watchdog.org article about soy subsidies quotes Timothy A. Wise. See “Soy subsidy stirs ‘Frankenfood’ debate in VA.”
- Jeronim Capaldo was quoted for his criticism of the estimated gains from trade facilitation in "The Bali myth of $1 trillion trade gains" from DownToEarth. (January 15, 2014)
- Jeronim Capaldo's policy brief, "The Uncertain Gains from Trade Facilitation”, was quoted in a January 11, 2014 Economic and Political Weekly article, What Happened at the Bali WTO Meet and Why. The article cites Capaldo’s argument that the costs of a trade facilitation agreement will be so high that it would divert resources in developing and poor countries from the provision of social safety services.
- Timothy A. Wise was quoted extensively in January 2014 regarding the 20th Anniversary of NAFTA. Read NAFTA at 20: Some perspectives from planet earth and A 20 años del TLCAN, voces críticas en EU, or listen to Today on Your Call: What is the legacy of NAFTA? from KALW radio.
- Timothy A. Wise and Jeronim Capaldo were both cited in a December 15, 2013 article on Live Mint & The Wall Street Journal titled "India’s fiction of victory at Bali."
- The Third World Network quoted Jeronim Capaldo on WTO negotiations in US, EU unveil post-Bali assault plans on Third World. (December 10, 2013)
A December 9, 2013 Foreign Policy article, After 20 Years of Nothing, the WTO Finally Reaches a Deal...Sort of, quotes Jeronim Capaldo regarding overstated benefits of the WTO deal and gives an overview of his GDAE policy brief on this topic
- On December 4, 2013, The Financial Times published Jeronim Capaldo’s letter Trade facilitation has real costs and dubious gains.
- Timothy A. Wise was quoted by various news outlets on American hypocrisy surrounding food security in India, including: Clock ticking as WTO meeting fights to strike deal in Yahoo! Finance, US violates subsidy norms but chides India in Times of India on December 8, and In WTO Deal 'Corporate Rights Trump the Right of People to Food' from INF Alternative News on December 6, 2013.
- "The Politics of Ethanol" a letter to the editor of The New York Times cites the report "Fueling the Food Crisis" co-authored by GDAE's Timothy A. Wise. (November 26, 2013)
- On October 23, 2013, Timothy Wise published “Commentary: And the prize goes to ... genetically modified foods” in The Global Post about the World Food Prize and GMOs
- Timothy Wise wrote an op-ed for Al Jazeera titled “Fiddling in Rome while our food burns” discussing biofuels and food security (October 17, 2013).
- On October 16, 2013, The Des Moines Register ran "Protesters denounce ag groups, support alternatives to GMOs," which covered the biofuels debate and quoted Timothy A. Wise as saying "We found there’s plenty of food, it’s just not distributed fairly."
- On October 14, 2013, Timothy Wise was quoted in the IRIN News article "FAO's hunger data - getting better." He discusses the UN Food and Agriculture Organization's methods of calculating the number of hungry people in the world in its annual report, "The State of Food Insecurity in the World."
- The September 25, 2013 Mother Jones article, Does Corporate Farming Exist? Barely, and the earlier The Institute of Agriculture Trade and Policy article, Food and National Security: The Shuanghui-Smithfield Merger Revisit, both reference Buyer Power in U.S. Hog Markets: A Critical Review of the Literature by Timothy A. Wise and Sarah E. Trist.
- The New York Times article For Migrants, New Land of Opportunity Is Mexico quotes Kevin P. Gallagher on his views about Mexico’s new economic opportunities. (September 21, 2013)
- On August 11, 2013, Bloomberg quoted Kevin P. Gallagher on his views on risks to China’s small and medium businesses in the article Teamaker’s Woe Signals China Fund Deficit for Entrepreneurs
- On August 6, 2013, China Daily USA reprinted an op-ed piece written by Kevin P. Gallagher titled Cons of deregulating finance.
- In the July 31, 2013 article, The benefits and perils of riding China’s coat-tails the Financial Times referenced The Dragon in the Room by Kevin P. Gallagher and Roberto Porzecanski
- The Washington Times’ July 31, 2013 article House Republicans seen pseudo-science in Obama’s ‘cost of carbon’ metrics quotes Frank Ackerman on his stance on the social cost of carbon.
- A study conducted by Timothy A. Wise was referenced in the July 23, 2013 article Do U.S. Economic Policies Fuel Latin-American Immigration? from the National Catholic Register.
The July 19, 2013 blog post Counting hunger from Can We Feed the World? references the paper How We Count Hunger Matters, which was coauthored by Timothy A. Wise.
Frank Ackerman was quoted in Climate Wire’s July 19, 2013 article Higher cost assigned to CO2 emissions not ‘generated in a black box,’ White House officials say.
Kevin P. Gallagher was interviewed by Bloomberg for their article China’s Easy Money Flows Abroad as Credit Squeeze Hurts, which was published July 18, 2013.
A Thomson Reuters Foundation article, Ethanol trade undermines U.S. biofuels policy, quotes Timothy A. Wise regarding the need for incentives for advanced biofuel development. (July 3, 2013)
- Kevin P. Gallagher was interviewed by The China Dialogue for an article, China has higher environmental standards abroad than at home, which ran July 1, 2013.
- Timothy A. Wise was a guest on the Progressive Radio Network's Progressive Commentary Hour on June 17, 2013. The show focused on US trade policies in the context of the Great Recession.
- Timothy A. Wise is quoted and two GDAE reports are cited in Drug shift, global markets sealed Smithfield-China pork deal, published June 15, 2013 by examiner.com.
- Frank Ackerman was quoted in the June 12, 2013 story from Bloomberg, Obama Quietly Raises 'Carbon Price' as Costs to Climate Increase. He was also cited on this topic in Forbes, Bloomberg Businessweek, and the Washington Post's Wonkblog.
- The Financial Times published Kevin P. Gallagher’s May 31, 2013 piece Time for the US to rethink its LatAm strategy. A June 6, 2013 story from The Economist, Why has China snubbed Cuba and Venezuela? linked to Gallagher's FT op-ed.
- Kevin P. Gallagher was quoted in several articles on Chinese President Xi Jinping's visit to Latin America, including Bloomberg’s Biden circles Xi as U.S. Duels China for Latin American Ties, The New York Times' Chinese President Makes Bridge-Building Trip to Mexico, and McClatchy's China's moves in Western Hemisphere have U.S. stepping up its game.
- Kevin P. Gallagher was quoted in three articles about Brazil’s Roberto Azevedo becoming the the next World Trade Organization Director-General; see Reuters on May 1; Bloomberg on May 7, 2013; and The New York Times on May 8, 2013.
- Timothy A. Wise’s Triple Crisis post, The Damaging Links Between Food, Fuel and Finance: A growing threat to food security, was linked in the Bridges Weekly Resources section for the week of April 18, 2013.
- Research from Kevin P. Gallagher, Amos Irwin, and Katherine Koleski's report, “The New Banks in Town,” was used in the April 13, 2013 article by Al Jazeera, Petrol populism fuels Venezuela diplomacy.
- GDAE's working paper “Factibilidad de alcanzar el potencial productivo de maíz de México,” by Antonio Turrent, Tim Wise and Elise Garvey, was cited in Soberanía alimentaria vs desarrollo económico de México, an article from April 8, 2013 by Imagen Agropecuaria.
- Antonio Turrent, Tim Wise and Elise Garvey's working paper, “Factibilidad de alcanzar el potencial productivo de maíz de México,” was referenced in a March 18, 2013 article from Info Rural, Peña Nieto, ¿Y Monsanto no es un monopolio?: ANEC
- In Everyone But China" Agreement Prevents Regulation of Hot Money and Speculation, Kevin P. Gallagher spoke with The Real News Network on how the Trans-Pacific Partnership threatens national sovereignty, extends corporate rights, and targets China on March 18, 2013.
- The Gloucester Times reported on “What’s needed to resolve the looming global food price crisis," a presentation by Timothy A. Wise on March 17 at the Cape Ann Forum in Gloucester, Mass.
- The report “The New Banks in Town” by Kevin P. Gallagher, Amos Irwin, and Katherine Koleski's was cited in the March 6, 2013 Bloomberg article, Chavez’s Death Could Dim China’s Venezuelan Energy Prospects, as well as the March 12, 2013 piece by Al Jazeera, Venezuela looks to China for Economic Boost.
- A February 26 New York Times Green blog post entitled "Feeding Ourselves on a Warming Planet" summarizes a GDAE working paper by GDAE Research Fellows Frank Ackerman and Elizabeth Stanton.
- Timothy A. Wise's work on the food crisis received a ringing endorsement from blogger Thomas Kostigen in his February 19, 2013 article, "Food Crisis to Continue," in the Financial Advisor.
- The Bretton Woods Project included Kevin P. Gallagher's paper on regulating global capital flows for development in its list of Recommended Resources on the World Bank and IMF 2012. (February 13, 2013)
- Kevin P. Gallagher was quoted in the February 15, 2013 Associated Press article, China plays by its own rules while going global, which was picked up by The Miami Herald and The Washington Post.
- The February 5, 2013 article "Hill Briefing Shreds Renewable Fuel Standard sites a study by Timothy A. Wise that estimates that U.S. ethanol expansion during the past 6 years cost developing countries more than $5.5 billion in higher prices for corn imports.
- Bloomberg published the January 27, 2013 article Chinese Knockoff Sombrero Drags Colombian Tribe Into Trade Fight, which quotes Kevin P. Gallagher.
- Kevin P. Gallagher's report, "New Banks in Town" was referenced in the January 25, 2013 Bloomberg article, Chavez Cancer Freezes Venezuela’s Overseas Oil Funding.
- On January 5, The New York Times ran an article, As Biofuel Demand Grows, So Do Guatemala’s Hunger Pangs, quoting Timothy A. Wise and his research on in impact of U.S. ethanol policy on developing countries. The NYT piece was picked up by additional media; Reason Magazine blogged favorably about it in: Biofuels: Starving Guatemalans to Feed Cars; Mother Jones covered this issue in What Does Biofuel Have to Do With the Price of Tortillas in Guatemala?; and the Kansas City Star offers this response: Ethanol scam drives up food prices and stifles economic recovery.
- Kevin P. Gallagher was quoted in the January 2013 Harpers Magazine article "Trading for Jobs," by Jeff Madrick.
- On December 27, 2012, The Financial Times blog, beyondbrics, published a list of the most popular guest posts of 2012. Kevin P. Gallagher's piece "Why Ocampo - not Kim - should be next World Bank president" was the second most read guest post of 2012.
- Timothy A. Wise was quoted in an article for the The New York Times, Twenty Years Later, NAFTA Remains a Source of Tension. December 7, 2012.
- On November 21, the Financial Times published "Enough to go round but millions still starve," an article that mentions Timothy A. Wise's research and report with ActionAid, which show that from 2005-06 to 2010-11, US ethanol expansion cost net corn importing countries $11.6bn in higher corn prices – more than half of which was borne by emerging markets.
- Kevin P. Gallagher’s work on the IMF was referenced in The Globalist’s article, The Silent Revolution Inside the IMF, October 30, 2012.
- Kevin P. Gallagher spoke with Jason Margolis from PRI’s The World in Reality Check: Romney Promises More Trade with Latin America on October 25, 2012.
- Al Jazeera produced two features on the Marlin mine. Lyuba Zarsky was quoted in Gold mine drives wedge in Guatemala community, on October 25, 2012.
She was also interviewed for the TV program Time to monitor Guatemala's mining sector?
- Kevin P. Gallagher was quoted in The Guardian’s article, Mitt Romney’s five-point economic plan divides Massachusetts voters. October 11, 2012.
- La Jornada published an article, Desarrollo sustentable y producción de maíz en México, featuring GDAE's Working Paper "Achieving Mexico’s Maize Potential," by Antonio Turrent Fernández, Timothy A. Wise, and Elise Garvey.
- Kevin P. Gallagher is quoted in Capital Controls: Counting the Costs, published in Emerging Markets on October 10, 2012
- Timothy A. Wise’s study “The Cost to Developing Countries of U.S. Corn Ethanol Expansion” gathered substantial media coverage. It was quoted heavily in a Reuters AlertNet piece, US corn ethanol cost poor nations $6.6 bln – study on October 11, 2012. The Inter Press Service New Agencyran U.S. High Corn Prices Spread Global Hunger and Instability on October 10, 2012 and The Real News Network released an interview on October 9, 2012.
- Kevin P. Gallagher commented in in the InterAmerican Dialogue’s Latin American Advisor newsletter published October 4, 2012 and addressed the question Are Policies Abroad Pulling Down Latin American Economies?
- Timothy A. Wise & Leontief Prize winner Peter Timmer are both quoted in "How rising food prices are impacting the world," Christian Science Monitor, September 24, 2012
- The Financial Times article "Loans: Globalisation changed the movement of capital funds" quoted Kevin P. Gallagher, September 24, 2012
- Timothy A. Wise authored a piece for The Guardian Economics Blog entitled "If we want food to remain cheap we need to stop putting it in our cars," on September 5, 2012
- Comercio Exterior, a prominent Mexican journal, published "El etanol en Estados Unidos y su efecto negativo en México," in the Sept/Oct issue giving extensive coverage to Timothy A. Wise's "The Cost to Mexico of U.S. Corn Ethanol Expansion."
- Timothy A. Wise was quoted in the Al Jazeera article "Corn lobby outgrows US farm subsidies on August 31, 2012
- GDAE's Working Group on Latin America was quoted July 13, 2012 in Foreign Policy's "Not Quite the Holy Grail," which discusses FDI's lack of impact on the rate of economic growth in Latin America.
- Timothy A. Wise commented in InterAmerican Dialogue’s Latin American Advisor newsletter on June 28, 2012 in the “Featured Q&A” on “Are Market Forces Eroding Latin America's 'Food Sovereignty'?”
- Timothy A. Wise was quoted extensively in "Imperativo frenar el uso de maíz para etanol: informe de Action Aid" from La Jornada del campo on June 23, 2012.
- Clarín, a prominent Argentinian newspaper, cites Kevin P. Gallagher in Bancos chinos avanzan en América Latina on June 17, 2012
- Inside U.S. Trade's NewsStand interviewed Kevin P. Gallagher on capital controls for the article Leaked TPP Draft Text On Investment Reveals Debate On Capital Controls, published on June 15, 2012. A Friends of the Earth blog post quotes Gallagher on this same issue in July 2012.
- Foreign Policy reporter David Bosco cites Kevin P. Gallager in IMF prepares to issue capital flow guideline on May 29, 2012
- Kevin P. Gallagher was quoted in a Wall Street Journal piece, House Democrats Urge Geithner To Permit Capital Controls By Trade Partners, on May 24, 2012. He said "...if Geithner confirms that U.S. trade pacts don't restrict capital controls, 'he will make a giant step in preventing future financial havoc.'"
- Kevin P. Gallagher was quoted in an article by The Financial Times"LatAm banks: new target for China Inc?" on May 10, 2012
- The May/June 2012 edition of Foreign Affairs contains a review, The New Banks in Town: Chinese Finance in Latin America, which summarizes the report written by Kevin P. Gallagher, and co-authors Amos Irwin and Katherine Koleski.
- Timothy A. Wise was quoted in the Dow Jones Newswirestory Mexico To Urge More Non-Food Biofuel Research At G-20 Summit on May 30, 2012.
- Kevin P. Gallagher was interviewed by CNN on China's Caribbean Spending Spree on April 9, 2012.
- Kevin P. Gallagher was quoted in a New York Times article titled "China Buys Inroads in the Caribbean, Catching U.S. Notice" on April 7, 2012.
- Timothy A. Wise was quoted in The Nation for his work on US trade policies with Mexico, "How US Policies Fueled Mexico's Great Migration," on January 5, 2012.
- Lyuba Zarsky was interviewed by Mining Watch Canada on January 5, 2012, about her co-authored report, "Searching for Gold in the Highlands of Guatemala: Economic Benefits and Environmental Risks of the Marlin Mine." Watch the full interview.
- Timothy A. Wise commented in InterAmerican Dialogue’s Latin American Advisor newsletter as an invited respondent in their “Featured Q&A” on “Will public-private partnerships aid agribusiness in the region?” (Read the article.)
- Timothy A. Wise was interviewed by KRLD radio in Dallas Feb. 8, 2011, about NAFTA's impacts on agriculture in Mexico and the effects on Mexican migration to the United States.
Timothy A. Wise was quoted in two recent McClatchy news wire stories on corn in Mexico, based in part on his work on agricultural dumping. Mexico, cradle of corn, finds its noble grain under assault, Feb. 2, 2011, focuses on the contentious issue of genetically modified corn. In the Feb. 1 article, Free trade: As U.S. corn flows south, Mexicans stop farming, the author explores the impact of NAFTA on small-scale Mexican farmers. The articles appeared in the Miami Herald, Sacramento Bee, and Philippines Times,
among many other McClatchy papers.
- The release of the economist letter, signed by more than 250 prominent economists and delivered to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, and US Trade Representative Ron Kirk, received significant media coverage. The story was featured in the Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, BNA Trade Daily, and it was picked up on Naked Capitalism blog and the NY Times Dealbook blog among others. See full list of press coverage.
- In a letter delivered on January 31, 2011, more than 250 economists urged the Obama administration to reform U.S. trade rules that restrict the use of capital controls. GDAE researcher Kevin P. Gallagher and Sarah Anderson, director of the Institute for Policy Studies Global Economy Project, initiated the statement. Read the full statement.
- On January 6, 2011 GDAE Senior Researcher Kevin P. Gallagher gave a lecture to Mexican Senators, Congresspersons, and business executives on China's challenge to Mexico at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Tom Philpott, a popular food writer for Grist, picked up Timothy A. Wise's most recent post for Triple Crisis Blog, "Are High Agricultural Prices Good or Bad for Poverty?", a response to Dani Rodrik's earlier post on food prices and poverty. "One of my favorite agriculture researchers in the United States is Tim Wise of Tufts University. Philpott writes “Turns out, he writes for my new favorite economics blog, Triple Crisis, in which rogue (i.e., non-neoclassical) economists analyze in plain English the globe's financial, development, and environmental crises (manifesto here)...."
- Timothy A. Wise and GDAE co-director William Moomaw were part of a five-member group of panelists/judges for an MIT student project, "Mission 2014: Feeding the World," which was presented at MIT December 1, 2010.
- On November 9, 2010 KPFK Radio in Los Angeles interviewed Kevin Gallagher about his new book with Roberto Porzecanski, The Dragon in the Room andabout the recently concluded G-20 summit. Listen to the interview.
- Kevin P. Gallagher's work on capital controls was quoted in an article in The Nation (October 6, 2010).
- Kevin P. Gallagher was quoted in a Bloomberg article on capital controls. (October 5, 2010).
- Kevin P. Gallagher was interviewed by China Radio International. The interview was based on Gallagher's work on China and Latin America.
- Kevin P. Gallagher's article, "The China Syndrome," appeared in the August 12, 2010 issue of Latin Trade. Gallagher presents China's complex role in Latin America, based on his forthcoming book with Roberto Porzecanski, The Dragon in the Room.
- Timothy Wise was quoted extensively in a feature article in the July 5, 2010 issue of The Nation, "Retreat to Subsistence," on the plight of Mexico's indigenous corn farmers under NAFTA. The article includes an excellent summary of the controversy over transgenic contamination of native fields.
- Senior Researcher Kevin P. Gallagher has published an op-ed on the Financial Times Economists Forum page: New sovereign debt management regime should be G20 focus June 21, 2010.
- GDAE Research Fellow Roberto Porzecanski launched his book on Uruguay's negotiations with the US on trade and investment agreements June 8, 2010 in Montevideo in a high profile event at the Ministry of External Relations. The book, No Voy en Tren: Uruguay y las perspectivas de un TLC con Estados Unidos (2000-2010) (Not On Board: Uruguay and the Prospects for a Free Trade Agreement with the United States, 2000-2010), received prominent media coverage, including articles in El Pais, Brecha, and Busqueda, one of Uruguay's leading weekly magazines, as well as online coverage and an video interview with El Espectador.
- Kevin Gallagher was quoted in Reuters and Canada's National Post on the politicization of the yuan, March 24, 2010.
- Timothy Wise was quoted in a recent Latin Trade article on trade agreement talks between the EU, US and Latin American countries. The article, which was published on May 30, 2009 quotes Wise on his extensive research on the lessons from NAFTA.
- Kevin P. Gallagher was quoted in a recent New York Times article by Elizabeth Malkin, "NAFTA's Promise, Unfilled," which appeared on the front page of the business section March 23, 2009: NAFTA's Promise, Unfulfilled.
- Kevin P. Gallagher joins Reuters' The Great Debate, on the merits of NAFTA, Dec. 2008 - Jan. 2009.
- On December 10, 2008 Timothy Wise is quoted in an Agence France-Presse article about the ongoing Doha round of trade negotiations: WTO Wants Doha for Christmas.
- Also see Kevin P. Gallagher's regular columns on globalization and development in The Guardian.
The Global Development and Environment Institute’s Globalization and Sustainable Development Program examines the economic, social and environmental impacts of economic integration in developing countries, with a particular emphasis on the WTO and NAFTA's lessons for trade and development policy. The goal of the program is to identify policies and international agreements that foster sustainable development.