Social Science Library:
Frontier Thinking in Sustainable Development and
The Social Science Library: Frontier Thinking in Sustainable Development and Human Well-Being has been created by the Global Development And Environment Institute at Tufts University. The Social Science Library (SSL), which is a contribution to the UN Decade for Education for Sustainable Development, contains over 3,400 full-text journal articles, book chapters, reports, and working papers in Anthropology, Economics, History, Philosophy, Social Psychology, Sociology and Political Science. The Library also includes full bibliographic references (including abstracts) to more than 6,000 additional articles. The SSL is available in two versions. One is the online version. The distributed version is available as a two CD-ROM set and on a single USB drive and will be distributed, free of charge, to university libraries in 138 countries, with particular emphasis on those locations that have little or no access to the Internet. The SSL is being distributed to these countries with the assistance of various partner organizations.
The content selected for the SSL has been carefully organized to:
- Enable users to find material of interest quickly and efficiently;
- Give global attention and emphasis to those social science writings that are most likely to contribute to understanding and promotion of sustainable development and human well-being;
- Assist scholars and thinkers in developing countries to participate fully in the on-going development of social science knowledge and understanding; and
- Mimic web functions, such as search capabilities, so as to assist scholars and students to make good use of the web when they do have access.
- The Horizon Solutions Site, dedicated to providing per reviewed answers to problems in the areas of environment, health, poverty alleviation and development, has recently published an article describing the SSL on their website, available here.
- A new map showing the countries where the SSL has been distributed, where distribution is ongoing, as well as where we are still seeking partners. You can view it here.
For more information about the SSL, email us at SSL@tufts.edu